Micah BaldwinSeattle, Washington, United States, United States
In my work as an executive coach, I work with leaders that are looking to grow as people and managers. I bring 20+ years of tech community experience, where I have founded or been early at six companies (4 exits), which have raised more than $350mm. I have been a mentor/advisor to hundreds of companies over the years, and am a trained coach with more than 3 years of experience. My work as a founder and senior executive has driven venture-backed startups to achieve large-scale multi-million dollar global growth. I’ve nurtured the growth of several startup ecosystems by leading strategic planning and engagement, with a focus on cultivating strong partner relations and customer success to create intuitive business solutions and products. Selected Accomplishments: * Built an incubator with nearly 300 members who have raised more than $111 million in venture, recruited 15 corporate partners, and produced more than 200 programs with more than 4,000 attendees * Created and launched a senior-level program for corporate innovation at AWS designed to increase affinity and, working with some of the largest enterprises and hottest startups in the world * Led growth of key strategic accounts at AWS, often seeing spend increase drastically through onboarding, adoption, and retention * Was early at or founded six startups, which have raised more than $350 million collectively, including 4 exits * Successfully launched several companies, including growing a publisher base from zero to 10,000, revenue to multi-millions, and monthly page views from 11 million to 450 million per month within one year
Jun 2001 - Current
Executive coach to leaders who are looking to accelerate growth. I use a mix of training, my unique life experiences (through personal struggles with sobriety and mental health) and 20+ years in the tech community, where I have built big businesses, and I have failed. Through it all, I have figured out how to follow a path of recovery and happiness. I know business, but I really understand people. This is a relaunch of the Current Wisdom brand, which was the first company I sold in 2007. It was a marketing automation company and the top SEO company in Colorado.
Crunchfund (now Tuesday Ventures)
Oct 2014 - Current
I draw upon my vast network in the startup landscape to identify promising companies that I then evaluate, make connections, and cultivate relationships to facilitate deals and optimize the current portfolio for acceleration and growth. I undertake due diligence to evaluate the company, and offer my opinion about the company and founder to determine if it’s a good match. I advise and coach the portfolio CEOS, including assisting with fundraising, connecting to network including Amazon, and problem-solve with them as the companies grow.
Angel Investor, Mentor and Advisor
Techstars, 500startups, Sensay, Downstream, Slice, Omni, and others
Jan 2007 - Current
CEOs and founders come to me to improve their efficiency and optimization. I work with more than a dozen startups (https://angel.co/micah), advising on fundraising, accelerating growth and management techniques, and mentor at several accelerators including Techstars, 500startups and others. I specialize in supporting companies in their, business development, product development, marketing and growth.
Nov 2020 - Jan 2022
Leading Popdog's exploration of the relationship between gaming content creators and their communities. We believe that while creators are fantastic at building audiences, there’s much yet to be done to create real community. We are hiring.
Early Stage Practice
Mar 2020 - Nov 2020
Managing Director, Create33
Madrona Venture Group
Jun 2018 - Jan 2020
I built and manage an incubator and innovation center offering entrepreneurs resources, knowledge and access to grow their businesses. The space began as an empty 22,000 square feet, for which I recruited 15 corporate partners, including Amazon and Microsoft. I hired a cross-functional team that put on more than 200 programs in the course of a year which more than 4,000 people attended. Members have raised more than $111 million total. Currently, I oversee and manage the staff, provide strategic direction and initiative, and help recruit members into the center.
Senior Technical Business Development Manager
Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Feb 2015 - Jun 2018
I built the AWS Connections program, which connected corporate innovation groups with startups for potential POCs and deals. I designed the product, hired the team and managed the program in conjunction with sales, engineering and other cross-functional teams. I managed key customer relationships from onboarding to retention, including the top accelerators in the world, including Techstars and Y Combinator, to connect startups with the resources and relationships they need, including connecting them to AWS and also a deeper dive into Amazon. Most recently, I designed and launched a program to support corporate innovation and startup growth, working with many of the top enterprises in the world to drive product development while helping a significant number of startups grow.
VP Business Development / Customer Success
May 2014 - Feb 2015
We designed author-friendly platforms to help authors create their books. As the head of the business development & customer success team, and senior member of the product team, I attracted authors to the platform and onboarded them. I managed key strategic relationships with partners, such as Adobe and others.
Oct 2009 - May 2014
- Raised $8 million in venture financing as CEO and led M&A - Led customer success, product and engineering teams - Grew business from start to 10,000+ publishers and millions in ARR.
VP, Business Development
Lijit Networks, Inc.
Nov 2007 - Oct 2009
- Hired as employee 11 to create and grow business development function - Acquired publishers that grew monthly page views from 11mm to 450mm in twelve months - Spoke at more than 45 events, including Big Omaha and other industry events - Drove Lijit's brand and position within the publisher community. Acquired in 2011 by Federated Media (a relationship that I forged)
Senior Vice President, Media Strategy
Indigio Group, Inc
Jan 2007 - Nov 2007
- Built the online media division, surpassing revenue goals by 150% and growth by more than 500%. - Achieved 24 month revenue goals in 9 months. - Responsible for new product and business development. - acquired in 2011)
Director, Performance Marketing / Growth
Jan 2002 - Jun 2003
- Early hire. Brought on to expand business development and performance marketing - Managed interactive marketing, media buying and search engine marketing. - Drove significant growth of free revenue (SEO, email, etc.) by 300% over a 12-month period, generating 25% ($6 million) of all revenue via growth hacking. Acquired by IAC.
Director of Customer Success
Jun 2000 - Jun 2001
- Within first ten hires, team grew to approximately 50. - Closed more than 60% of clients for a Higher Education division at MyPersonal, leading negotiation on content deals prior to merging and becoming Synacor (IPO). - Lead customer success with more than 50 higher education clients. - merged to form Synacor; IPO)
CEO and Founder
Jan 2000 - Jan 2007
- Designed and lead the build of a marketing automation platform. - Lead product, business development and sales - Considered top SEO firm in Colorado. - acquired in 2007)
Jan 2000 - Jun 2000
- Early employee (first hire in San Diego market) - Lead Launch Marketing efforts: Conceptualized and designed an innovative approach to email collection (by hand) and local partnerships (exceed goal by 1400%)
University of California, DavisOrganizational Studies, Sociology, Business